Introduction of GST has simplified the tax structure in India but at the same time, it has resulted in little confusion among the taxpayers. In our endeavour of clearing those confusion of taxpayers, in this article, we simplify the process of tracking GST status.
Every taxpayer who is eligible to pay GST can pay their taxes either through online mode or offline mode. Every eligible taxpayer is provided with an unique GST user ID and password. They are required to log in on the GST online portal, feed in their details and make the payment online if they are choosing so. If they want to pay their taxes offline then they can log in on to the GST portal and after filling all the details, they can download the GST payment challan from the portal and submit it with taxes in any of the authorized banks. For reference, the link of GST portal is given here.
Once you file your GST returns, you will receive an Application Reference Number (ARN). This number is issued after every GST filing irrespective of mode of payment. This number is specifically provided to enable the taxpayers to do their GST status check i.e. payment status or application status.
How to check GST status?
To track GST application status, please follow below steps accordingly –
- First visit the GST online portal here.
- On the website, at the top left corner, you will find “Login” option. Select it. For reference see the screenshot below.
- On the Login page, log in with your GST credentials, that you receive at the time of registration.
- After login, your GST dashboard will open. On the dashboard itself, in the “Services” section, choose “Returns”.
- Once you choose “Returns”, you will find an option “Track Return Status”. See below picture for reference.
- On the “Track Return Status” page, you will find 3 ways to check your GST status. They are –
- ARN (Application Reference Number)
- Return Filing Period
See screenshot below –
- If you are in possession of your ARN, then you can check the status by selecting the “ARN” option. Once selected, fill in your ARN number in the box given and press “Search”. Your GST tracking status will flash on the screen. See the screenshot above for reference.
- In case you are not in possession of your ARN number, then also you can track your application. All you need to do is to choose next option i.e. “Return Filing Period”.
- In “Return Filing Period”, all you have to mention is the time period for in which you have filed your GST return. You can choose your time period accordingly. See below picture for reference –
- After feeding time period, select “Search” and your all GST payment status filed within that period will flash on the screen. See above picture to see the sample of the page.
- There is one more way to check your GST payment status is by selecting third option i.e. “Status”.
- In this section, you don’t have to feed any information, this section keeps track of your all GST status filed by you ever. However if you have filed a lot of returns, then this will be little difficult to track any particular return as it carries all of your returns. See below for reference –
- So in case you want to track only a particular GST payment status then choose other ways mentioned above.
Types of GST status: –
One more thing to note here is that there are different types of GST status or GSTN status. They are –
- TO BE FILED: – here return is yet to be filed, it is still due.
- SUBMITTED BUT NOT FILED: – This shows return has been verified or validated but filing is still pending.
- FILED – VALID: – It says Return is filed.
- FILED – INVALID: – It says Return is filed but tax is not paid or only a part is paid.
Visit Company Vakil for any legal registration and taxation services.