What is a legal notice?
A legal notice is a document that is sent to a person, a company or any other entity informing about the grievances caused by them to the sender of the notice. The format of the legal notice is fairly simple. However, it is advisable to get it drafted by a legal consultant to avoid any mistakes or technicalities.
What is the purpose of a legal notice?
It is sent to the receiver to address the fact that the grievances of the sender have not been dealt with in spite of giving the receiver of the notice enough scope to resolve the issue. Through a notice, the sender informs the receiver that he/she is going to take the matter forward in the court of law either immediately or after giving a certain amount of time mentioned in the notice.
What is the format?
Every legal notice follows a basic step by step format mentioned below :
- All the required facts of the case including the grievances caused.
- The relief and how it is sought i.e monetarily or by an action of doing or not doing something.
- The laws under which the relief is sought by the receiver
What are the things that should be taken care of while drafting a legal notice?
- The language of the notice should be unambiguous and easy to understand.
- The facts mentioned in the notice must be to the point.
- The information such as the names and addresses of the people involved, the date of the occurrence of events, previous attempts made to contact the person etc should be mentioned without error.
- The reason for sending the legal notice must be clearly mentioned.
- The stipulated period of time before which legal action will be taken must be mentioned. It varies in different matters.
If you are the receiver of the notice,
If you have received a notice and you don’t agree with the information stated therein, you can reply to the notice. The time period in which you can reply is bound by limitation. It usually is between 15 to 30 days.
It is always advisable to take help of a professional as they study law before drafting a final reply. Company Vakil is always available to help you with your legal queries
A specimen of a legal notice.
Here is a sample of the basic sketch of a notice should be drafted.