Food business licensing and regulations in India is governed by the Food safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food industry Regulation, 2011. In accordance to the regulation, all Operators in business industry in India must have a registration or license if they are dealing in the storage, manufacturer, distribution of food products. Depending on the nature and size of business, registration or license may be required. In this article we look at the comparison between the two .
FSSAI registration is Needed for all small food business operator. small food business salesman is any person or entity who:
- Produces or sells any type of food for him/herself or a small retailer, hawker, or temporary stall holder; or
- Transports foods either in any religious or social gathering apart from a caterer; or
- Other food businesses like petty scale or cottage or such other sector relating to food business or tiny food businesses with an yearly returns not passing Rs 12 lakhs and whose:
- manufacturing ability of food (other than milk and milk products and meat and meat products) does not pass 100 kg/ltr per day or
- Handling and gathering of milk is up to 500 liters of milk per day or
- Slaughtering amounts is 2 huge animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less.
small food business vendors are suggested to get a registration by giving out an application for registration in Form A. On provision of a registration application, the registration should be given or application denied in written from within 7 days of receipt of an application by Government.
FSSAI registration certificate entails the information of how to register and a photo of the applicant. The certificate must be carefully shown at the venue of food business, at all times while doing the food business.
Any person who does not qualify as a small food business vendor is required to get a license for running a food business in India. there are two types of food license , central License and state FSSAI License. Depending on the nature and size of the business, the licensing authority would change. Large food producers / processors / distributor and importers of food goods needs central license; state license is needed for medium sized food producers, processor and distributors.
The money needed and process for obtaining a license is more detailed as compared to a application. Documents should be made in Form B to the required Licensing Authority plus with the important self-attested acceptance, affidavit and annexure, as applicable.
Food certificate is granted for a period of 1 to 5 years as request by the food business operator. Higher fee would be applicable for obtaining license for more years. If registration is obtained for one or two years, then the license can be renewed by making an application, no later than 30 days prior to the expiry date of the FSSAI license.