Printing business entered India rather late than most western countries due to the slower pace of technological development. But since the entry of the digital printing business in the Indian market, the printing business is only rising exponentially. Gone are the days when a person who was in charge of printing used to call clients for design requirements. Since the inception of the web-to-print technique, the demand for flex designs and flex business has increased on a large scale.
What is flex printing?
In today’s world where advertising plays a huge role in determining the success or failure of a business, flex printing is an important tool. Flex printing, also known as “vinyl banners” is a form of outdoor advertising. Advertisements are printed on large banners and standees, billboards and other possible outdoor ventures.
What is the scope for a flex business in India?
Large banners and posters for movies, political parties, events, and festivals, educational institutes etc are seen all over the metro cities such as Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune, Chennai etc. This is the kind of advertising that will never go out of fashion. A company requires mass advertising to reach a larger group of people and flex printing does just that.
How to manage funds for starting a flex business?
Investing your own money in this business can prove to be very profitable. However, in case of lack of funds, one can also apply for a bank loan or total project financing.
Step by step guide to starting a flex business.
STEP 1: Craft a flex printing business plan. If you can’t do this of your own, take help from the experts. It is important to figure out your abilities including skill and investment.
STEP 2: Acquire a space for the business. If you want to start the business from the single location, the selection of the space should be done diligently. The location must attract a wide number of audience. Additionally, you must have the specific areas for customer desk, designing and for the printing purposes.
STEP 3: Registration and licensing for a flex business can be tricky.
- There are different rules for registration of a flex printing business in different states and cities.
- Different places and establishments may require different licenses to do the flex business.
- Some machinery requires special permission which can be taken from government officials of the concerned department.
However, there are certain general rules that are to be followed. They are mentioned below.
- Registration under Shop and Establishment Act/ Gumasta License should be done for starting any shop. This registration should be applied within 3 months of starting the business.
- Flex businesses can be registered in a form depending on the size and requirement of the setup. If it is started on a small scale then the owner can opt for a sole proprietorship or one person company registration. However, if the business is set up with the collaboration of more than one person then they can opt for LLP Registration of Company Registration under Companies Act, 2013
- An application for Trade License should be made to the Municipal Corporation of the area.
- A NOC from the state pollution board must be acquired, if applicable.
- MSME Registration can also be applied for, a lot of benefits are provided by government with this registration. GST Registration is a must if the annual turnover crosses the threshold limits This indirect tax is mandatory for a running a successful business in India, Also input credit can be claimed if you have a GST registration
STEP 4: While purchasing machinery for the business, it should be noted that several different types of printing machines are available in the market. However, according to your specific need, you must choose the right machine. You must consider the quality and quantity you require from the machine.
STEP 5: Hiring a skilled set of employees is the most important aspect of any business. An able designer, artist, people with extensive knowledge of the printing techniques and technicalities should be hired.
STEP 6: In today’s world, no business is successful without marketing and promotion of the business. Building a website, social media pages, banners and printable advertises, ads in the local newspapers are some strategies. It is very important to have an extensive marketing plan for the flex business.
A flex design and a flex business have a huge scope of profitability in today’s world of advertising and technology. If initiated in a correct manner, a flex business can reach heights.